Today, the United States Senate takes up action to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Make your voices heard by telephoning your Senator as I did this morning. So many people have been calling that you might have to leave a voicemail message.
The message I left was fairly straightforward and was limited to this one topic. My talking points were:
- Stop the repeal, Senator.
- The Affordable Care Act is not a catastrophe as the President-elect claims. It has given 20 million people dignity and an opportunity to live better lives.
- I worked at a county welfare agency and government for forty-three years (recently retired). I’ve seen how some people have had to choose between buying food or going to the doctor or heating their home. Don’t make it harder for them.
- I’ve spoken with countless people in my community who work more than one job just to make ends meet. Don’t make it harder for them.
- You’ve been fixing the Social Security Act of 1935 for eight decades. You never once had to repeal that program. Fix ACA, don’t repeal it.
Call your Senator today. You can use the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be connected.